Join the Animal Kingdom

NAME:
EMAIL:

Thursday, March 5, 2009

WHOOPI KISSES

03/05/09

I really wish I had somebody to share a lot of the bizarre and funny moments that I witness. I just got back home from a show in Mission Viejo. During the show there was a birthday party for kids that was sitting a few tables away from where I was playing. They all had their own personal whoopi cushion. Thing is- there were about 20 of them running around with them! You remember that kid back in gradeschool who always repeated the same sentence over and over, until somebody acknowledged him? So, here's this kid yelling at the top of his lung to a friend of his, "hey! Hey! I just farted! I just farted! Did you hear it? Did you hear it?!" This went on for about 10 minutes straight. I could barely sing my song cause I was laughing so much. Next thing I know I see from the corner of my eye, another kid literally jump and land straight on his butt on the whoopi cushion. Being an amateur at the whole art of whoopi cushioning he didn't expect the entire thing to pop. Poor kid, he looked so excited to sit on that thing! I'm sure he was expecting a pretty righteous flatulant come out of his efforts. His parents were just laughing at him, "Well, you just can't land on it like that!"

They also had these guns that shot pingpong balls out. If you can imagine 20 of these things going off at the same time. Children were running around like chickens with their heads cut off and it sound like an Orval Redenbacher factory was set ablaze! Again I could barely contain my laughter.

Something else that was pretty memorable was at the very end of my set. I was just about to pack up when a girl who must've been in her early 20s came out for a break. I assume this because she was still sporting the kind of collered shirt you find people wearing in Best Buy. She sat in the table right in front and asked me to play a song for her. I asked her what she wanted to hear, she mentioned something like Gavin Degraw. I thought about it, and offered to play the closest song I have to that kind of songwriting. It was A Sweeter Thing. Halfway through the song I asked her if it was what she was looking for and she said, "yeah, keep going." I'll place the lyrics at the end of this entry if you're all curious as to what she heard. Anyhow, at the end of the song, she smiled, hesitated, then slowly got out of her chair and walked straight to me. She recited my lyrics to me sincerely, "It's just little you and me in this great big world." She paused. Gave me a kiss on the cheek, then before she walked away she said, "you really read me, didn't you." She smiled and that was that. Not a bad way to end a set if I do say so myself.

I love those kinds of memories. It's so tough to reach people it seems these days. To be able to connect with someone atleast for a second is always a brilliant surprise. Especially through my music. I remember a girl came up to me with my old band 2taTango and put something in my hand, placed my fingers over it, and said, "the music was so beautiful. Thank you so much." I gave her thanks and when she had left the room I opened my hand and she had given me a quartz crystal. How cool is that! Till this day it's sitting on my desk right in front of my face as I'm typing this journal out for you all to read. Which, by the way, if you've made it this far in my journal- thank you. Thank you.

Last night I met some pretty amazing people.

I gotta continue counting my blessings.

A SWEETER THING

To the world you'll be a fine looking supermodel. The kind the guys like to hang up on their walls: Scantily clad in skin tight leather, high-heeled boots and black mascara. The world will have you but you still sing all my songs.

**Baby, they love you up and they lay you down on fine furs and jewelry. Well I tell you what- they think they are kings, but they can't come close to what we've been: Such a sweeter thing.**

I had you then: lazy days up to summer things that brought us close enough to know where this would lead. But then came September. It brought a change and I remember life back home called and I had to leave.

Before the money, before the world adored your face. Before they saw and started calling out your name you fell into me. Before the fame, Ferrari's and Versace, hot spot-lights and high-profile
parties you were telling me how
you thought your life would be.
They can try, but they'll never
know you like I do, we found
love next to temples that
made us swoon. Exchanging
things that only lovers can give.

Darling, it's just little you and me in this great big world. Baby, it's just you and me, and the love we found.

No comments:

Post a Comment