Join the Animal Kingdom

NAME:
EMAIL:

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

MAYDAY DATE

03/03/09

So there's this friend I asked on a date while she was in town for 3 days. I thought, "man, I'm totally going to show her the greatest time!" It occurred to me we had very little time because her visit was last-minute, and I had plans most of the weekend. Therefore, Saturday we planned to go out in the morning.

Saturday morning comes around and we both slept in. Okay. SO.. we moved plans for Sunday morning: I had no plans, she hadn't any plans, it was gorgeous all weekend, it was perfect! So, Sunday morning things are going well. She was looking forward to our adventure and I was looking forward to showing her a fun time. We managed to make it 5 minutes away from our destination when all of a sudden my Ford Probe, Sapo, starts overheating. I took the exit and immediately pulled into the nearest gas station to discover that a belt had busted in the engine. Luckily we were right next to an automotive building. Unluckily they were closed on Sundays. I seriously considered just hiking the next 5 minutes and dealing with the car later, but she seemed concerned. SO, I end up calling the good people at AAA. As we waited for the tow truck, we spent 30 minutes making fun of our predicatment and how "I sure knew how to show a girl a good time".

The truck driver was a good-spirited man, who was excellent company as we hoisted in reverse my poor car, Sapo, on the platform of the truck. The ride was great. She was amused, the driver was funny. The both of us, my friend and me (not me and the driver), were nestled in by one seatbelt because the truck didn't have another. A few minutes down the highway we heard a very distinct, "HEY!" come from the car we were passing. We just looked at each other laughing about how random it was. Ten minutes later there was a bit of a traffic jam and the car had caught up to us again and they called, "HEY!... HEY!" I turned confused and alittle amused, "Yeah?"
"Is that your car being towed?"
I was intrigued and still confused, "yeah...?"
"Your moonroof just flew off and hit my car!"
I threw my hands in the air, "SHIT! Are you SERIOUS!" We pulled over. Sure enough my moon roof was stripped from the top of my car. The man was surprisingly nice considering there could have a been serious injury with Sapo's moonroof hurtling through the air at 80mph. Feeling embarrassed I wondered what was next.

Fast forward: my brother let me borrow his car for the duration of the night, which is an amazing thing to do- thanks brother! It was her last night and we wanted to give her a last hoorah and have a night out on the town. So, she was hungry for Mexican food. "Okay" I thought "clean slate." We drove out to Pasadena to a nice Mexican Restaurant I know, but somehow we took a wrong turn and got a tiny bit lost. After a little detour we finally found the place. Hooray! We pulled in. It had just closed. Boo!! So we looked up another place and we managed to eat dinner. It was great to be able to sit with her for anything that slightly resembled a date thus far! Unfortunately the place looked like a Motel 8.

I then planned to take her to my favorite bar in Silverlake. Once we got there there was a spot open in front of the bar. Fantastic! I parked and got out to open the door for her, but realize the curb had flaked red paint. "Ah, hold on, sweetie, we gotta park somewhere else," I said. I got back in the car and turned the key. Nothing. The car was dead! My brother warned me this would happen and said all I needed to do was wiggle a cable to turn the car on. Poor girl. She was reaching over the passanger seat turning the key as my body was halfway in under the hood. We couldn't get it started. Next thing I know a cop pulls up next to me and demands, "what are you doing here!" Before I can utter words that are somewhat coherent he barks, "you know it's a $300 fine to park here!" At this point I feel my heart and pride slowly slide down my chest into my stomach, and I proceed to explain the story. Next thing I know the cop has half HIS body underneath the hood tinkering with my brother's car! 5 minutes pass looking as comedically pathetic as I was until he got the car running. Luckily enough for us he was there to help out.

By the time we got to the bar, her eyes squinted and her mouth pursed to one side, "I'm a little tired." NOT what you want to hear when you're trying to show someone a good time. I have to hand it to her, she was a good sport for having to put up with it all. She had a refreshing sense of humor about it throughout. I caught a burst of energy, but at this point it was a little too late. The universe OBVIOUSLY didn't want this date to happen, yet I didn't give up easily. Funny thing, during the holidays she was my muse for one of my favorite songs thus far. Looking back on it, it's funny how it is completely fitting for what happened this last weekend. It was not written about her or for her, but maybe from her would be better put. And as the song suggests, some things you never can tell how they're going to end up no matter what your intentions are, or what you believe is there in the begining. But to discover if there is something on the other end, I'll take a risk. I may end up looking pathetic, but atleast I'll know for sure. At least that's what I tell myself.

The Wager

Stealing a kiss, I’m running the risk of getting punched in the jaw
But at the end of your fist might be the worth of all this, because I could be wrong

I’ll bet you just a single date that you might find instead of punching my face, that you can’t help wanting no one else. For me there is no privilege above
taking a hit for love

I playfully touch, you give a smile and a nudge. Well that went surprisingly well.
I’m testing my luck, cause rejection just sucks, but no one can ever tell, so...

I’ll bet you a year of steady dates we’ll love our quirks and all our silly ways.
And we won’t help wanting no one else.
There is no venture above discovering love

Oh, maybe someday
Oh, maybe someday

I’ll bet you a diamond ring
that there’ll be days we’ll
want to turn it all in,
But I won’t help
that I chose no one else.
There is no potential above
being able to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment