Join the Animal Kingdom

NAME:
EMAIL:

Monday, September 21, 2015

Mixed Signals

Mixed signals come. Guess it's up to you to make of it what you want. As a musician and artists there are two distinct things people always stress:

  1. "Focus on your craft. Master it. Be the best you can be at it!"
  2. "You have to focus on your online presence and content! Keep Twitter updated! Blog! Post on Facebook! Book your shows! FOLLOW UP! GROOM YOUR IMAGE! BRAND YOURSELF!! .... the list goes on and on.
Jack of all trades, master of none. As an independent artist you do have to be your own everything. I try not to spread myself so thin that I lose sight of what is important to me though. The two  most cherished of all my "hats" are being a musician, and also being a visual artist. These take priority. Luckily I have found a way to combine them both. As far as titles are concerned, for a while I've considered my self as a "creative" more so than labeling myself as a "song-writer", "composer", "singer", or "illustrator". Ideas rush into my head. I do my best to bring them to "the real world" in some way. (Sorry about so many quotations. Out of all these titles, being a writer is not one that I exceed at.)

For instance this idea was bouncing around in my head for about a year and a half. Finally, after contacting a friend we managed to bring it to a tangible/functional piece of art:



Combining my music and visual art I have taken on making the music videos for this Noble Creatures project. Mostly because I love the creative process, but also because I don't have enough money to pay anybody to make a video for us. Collaborating would be amazing though.

An idea I've had in my head is to take found art or public domain art and re-purpose it. Just like this guitar shelf. Our new lyric video does just that. After scouring the interwebs for a comic whose storyline somewhat followed the lyrics to the song I came across a comic book called Romance. If I'm not mistaken. It's a bit of a stretch, but not as much as my original hope which was to find a romantic adventure story that took place in space. That's enough rambling though. Here it is! I believe it's the 4th lyric video we have so far. Solely for your entertainment... and my amusement.




No comments:

Post a Comment